Jurgen Klopp insists James Milner 'seems fine' after suffering a blow to the head during Champions League win over Napoli - but Liverpool boss says 'further checks' are needed ahead of this weekend's clash with Tottenham
The 36-year-old was recalled to the starting line-up and handed the captain's armband for their Champions League clash last night.
The experienced midfielder, however, took a heavy blow to the head which drew blood in the first-half at Anfield to end his night early.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admitted James Milner 'seems fine' after suffering a head injury
The experienced midfielder took a blow to the head and was forced off in the 48th minute
The former Manchester City man was treated and then carried on playing until early in the second-half when he went down on his own and signalled to the bench that he was unable to continue.
Milner was replaced by youngster Harvey Elliott in the 48th minute of the match and passed the armband on to defender Virgil Van Dijk.
Klopp revealed that Milner 'seems to be fine,' though more tests will be required in line with concussion protocols.
Milner was treated and then carried on playing until early in the second-half against Napoli
'I don't know,' Klopp admitted to the media post-match. 'He seems to be fine now, but we have to probably do further checks.'
It comes as a blow to Liverpool who seem to be having endless issues with injuries so far this season and they may now have to add Milner to that list alongside Luis Diaz, Diogo Jota, Arthur Melo, and Joel Matip.
If Milner suffered a concussion during the Napoli match that will rule him out of the Reds trip away to third-placed Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday due to the Premier League rules.
Milner's injury is yet another blow for Klopp's Liverpool who seem to be having endless issues
You'd imagine both Liverpool and the Premier League will take this injury seriously and do all of the tests required, especially given the recent situation with Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez.
The Premier League is demanding answers from Villa about why Martinez was allowed to play on against Newcastle despite suffering head trauma.
Villa have been criticised for their handling of Martinez’s injury, as they were last year when John McGinn continued for 34 minutes against Everton after a head blow, before feeling dizzy and requiring a concussion substitute.
Aston Villa face a Premier League probe after Emiliano Martinez was allowed to play on
The FA’s guidance is ‘if in doubt, sit it out’ and club doctors are responsible for ensuring teams follow that rule.
Villa’s Tyrone Mings crashed into the temple of Martinez, who was treated for five minutes. He was cleared to continue, before succumbing to his injury and being replaced by a concussion substitute.
The Premier League will now ask Villa for their observations on the incident.
Villa caretaker boss Aaron Danks said after Saturday’s 4-0 defeat: ‘We’ve got a very professional medical staff who assessed him and he was OK to continue.
‘Obviously things changed and there was a delayed onset of something that meant he had to come off.’
اخلاء مسئولية! : هذا المحتوى لم يتم انشائة او استضافته بواسطة موقع اخبار الكورة و اي مسؤلية قانونية تقع على عاتق الموقع مصدر الخبر : dailymail.co.uk  , يتم جمع الاخبار عن طريق خدمة ال RSS المتاحة مجانا للجمهور من المصدر : dailymail.co.uk  مع الحفظ على حقوق الملكية الخاصة بمصدر الخبر.